Thursday, May 26, 2011

Installing hgsubversion on Debian

I was digging around the interwebs for quite some time, and I would like to post my struggles, in hopes that someone won't bang their head against a wall as long as I did.

So what I was trying to do was use mercurial with svn, and the hgsubversion plugin seemed like the best way to do this. Now following the instructions, I see I just need to clone the plugin to my local machine, using:

hg clone -u 1.2.1 http://bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/ ~/hgsubversion
I then added the plugin to my .hg file in my home directory

[extensions] hgsubversion = ~/hgsubversion/hgsubversion
Now, all the tutorials that I saw, said that was it! Your all done ... lies. Try to clone an svn repo, and I got the following message:

abort: no compatible bindings available:

Subversion 1.5.0 or later required, but no bindings were found
Subvertpy 0.7.4 or later required, but 0.7.3 found

Please install either Subvertpy or the Subversion Python SWIG bindings!

Googling the phrases in the above message, didn't really give me too much info on how to get this working on my Debian machine. I won't bore you with the details, here is what I had to do to get the bindings installed:

#:apt-get install python-subversion

Duh. Hope this helps someone.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very helpful. The HgSubversion wiki says to add python-svn, so this tip got it working for me.

Unknown said...

Thank you! Worked for me on debian squeeze.